Post-Graduate Open Work Permits (PGWPs) are a valuable opportunity for international students who have completed their studies at Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs). PGWPs allow graduates to work in Canada for any employer, in any location, for up to three years. This gives graduates the flexibility to gain valuable Canadian work experience, explore career options, and potentially transition to permanent residency.
To be eligible for a PGWP, international students must:
- Have completed a program of study at a DLI
- Graduate from their program within the past 180 days
- Apply for the PGWP within 180 days of receiving written confirmation of program completion.
The duration of a PGWP is typically the same as the length of the program the graduate completed, up to a maximum of three years. For example, if a graduate completed a one-year program, they would be eligible for a one-year PGWP. If they completed a three-year program, they would be eligible for a three-year PGWP.
PGWPs offer a number of benefits to international students, including:
- Flexibility: PGWPs do not require graduates to have a job offer or a specific employer. Graduates can work for any employer in Canada and can move to different provinces or territories.
- Work experience: PGWPs allow graduates to gain valuable Canadian work experience. This experience can enhance their eligibility for Canadian immigration programs, such as the CEC.
- Post-graduation opportunities: PGWPs can help graduates transition to permanent residency in Canada. Graduates who gain at least one year of skilled Canadian work experience through a PGWP may be eligible to apply for permanent residency through the CEC.
How to Apply
To apply for a PGWP, international students must submit an application form and supporting documentation to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The application process can be complex, so seeking expert guidance and legal counsel is essential.
Access2Canada Immigration, Study & Settlement Services
At Access2Canada Immigration, Study & Settlement Services, we can help you with all aspects of the PGWP application process. We offer a range of services, including:
- Assessment of your eligibility
- Assistance with completing the application form.
- Guidance on gathering the required documentation.
- Submission of your application to IRCC.
- Representation at visa interviews (if required)
We understand that the PGWP application process can be daunting, but we are here to support you every step of the way. Contact us today for a free consultation.
PGWPs are a valuable opportunity for international students to gain Canadian work experience and potentially transition to permanent residency. If you are an international student who has graduated from a DLI, we encourage you to contact us today to learn more about PGWPs and how we can help you achieve your immigration goals.