Canada’s closed work permit is a vital immigration pathway for employment seekers. Unlike open work permits, which grant flexibility to work for any employer, closed work permits are job specific. In this comprehensive note, we delve into the intricacies of closed work permits for prospective immigrants to Canada.
Types of Closed Work Permits:
Employer-Specific Work Permit: This work permit category ties the holder to a specific Canadian employer. It authorizes employment exclusively with the employer named on the permit.
Occupation-Specific Work Permit: An occupation-specific work permit permits employment within a specific occupation or job category, granting more freedom to change employers in that field.
Securing a closed work permit in Canada typically requires satisfying the following criteria:
- Job Offer: A legitimate job offer from a Canadian employer, a fundamental requirement for employer-specific permits.
- Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA): An employer-specific work permit often demands a positive LMIA, though certain exemptions exist.
- Health and Security Requirements: Meeting health and security conditions is imperative.
- Intent to Depart: Demonstrating the intention to leave Canada upon the permit’s expiry.
- Specific Requirements: Complying with additional requisites based on the type of work permit sought.
At Access2Canada, we are committed to simplifying and streamlining the process for obtaining a closed work permit in Canada. Below, we outline the step-by-step procedure we follow to help you secure this essential document:
1. Initial Consultation:
Our journey begins with a comprehensive consultation to assess your eligibility and understand your specific employment aspirations in Canada. We’ll determine whether an employer-specific or occupation-specific work permit suits your needs.
2. Job Offer Acquisition:
For employer-specific permits, we guide you in securing a job offer from a Canadian employer willing to support your application. This is a critical step in the process.
3. Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or Exemption:
If your application requires an LMIA, we assist your employer in obtaining a positive LMIA or establishing eligibility for an LMIA exemption, ensuring compliance with Canadian immigration regulations.
4. Document Preparation:
Our experienced team provides guidance and support in preparing all necessary documents, including the official employment offer, LMIA or exemption documents, and any other essential paperwork.
5. Application Submission:
We facilitate the seamless submission of your application for the closed work permit. This can be done online or through a Canadian visa office, ensuring all required documents are included.
6. Ongoing Support:
Throughout the application process, our team keeps you informed and updated on the status of your application. We ensure that your application aligns with the most current immigration regulations.