Self Employed Persons
To qualify as self-employed, you must have two years of relevant experience and show that you intend to become self-employed in Canada.
You can get more points if you have 3, 4, or 5 years of experience.
Selection Criteria include your:
- language abilities
· You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.
· There is no regulated minimum net worth requirement. However, you will have to satisfy a visa officer that you have enough money to settle in Canada with your dependants and finance the work on which your selection was based.
· You must include the results of an English or French language test with your application. This will ensure your language skills are showcased on your application.
· You must also determine whether you will be able to make an economic contribution to Canada.
Start up Visa program
To qualify for the Start-up Visa Program, you must meet all 4 eligibility requirements
· have a qualifying business
· meet the language requirements, and
· have enough money to settle and live in Canada before you make money from your business
· If the investment comes from a designated Canadian venture capital fund, you must secure a minimum investment of $200,000.
· If the investment comes from a designated Canadian angel investor group, you must secure a minimum investment of $75,000.
· You don’t need to secure a financial investment from a business incubator. You must be accepted into a Canadian business incubator program.
· The amount of money you need depends on how many family members will be coming with you.
· In some cases, the designated organization may give you additional money to help cover your living expenses. You can’t use the investment money for your start-up business to cover your living expenses.
· If your business fails, it doesn’t affect your permanent resident status. We recognize that not every business will succeed and this program is designed so that the risk is shared between the public and private sector.